Food & Food Services

What does a food and food services worker do?

Work in a range of settings including baking, butchering, catering, cooking, pastry making, bar tending, food and drink waiting, food preparation, hotel management.

What do I need to be good at?

If you are front of house: serving, waiting, management, catering, you need to be good at:

  • Working in a team
  • Relating well to the customer
  • Patience and kindness
  • Working quickly and well under pressure
  • Following directions
  • Work related literacy and numeracy
How much do I get paid?

The average salary for a Food Services worker is $49,000 which can vary depending on role experience and training.

How do I get trained?

For jobs right around Australia, check out

For jobs in Gippsland see our live job feed on

At school by…

Doing year nine work experience with an employer in regional Food & Food Services Careers.

Enrolling in the VET in Schools Certificate II in Cookery, Hospitality, Tourism where you study part time at TAFE. If you secure a school-based traineeship with a local employer, you can complete your year 12 and spend one or two days a week with your employer. You could graduate with year 12, a Certificate 11 in hospitality, and the equivalent of up to one year of your apprenticeship completed.

At TAFE or other registered training organisation by

Completing a short course in responsible serving of alcohol, Barista, professional Bar Service, Customer Service, Catering, Hygienic Food Preparation.

Completing a six-month Full time Certificate III Hospitality course. You don’t need an ATAR, but you will need a year 11 completion.

Completing a Certificate III, Certificate IV, Diploma or Advanced Diploma Hospitality Course.

On the job

Look for a school-based apprenticeship or full-time apprenticeship with an individual employer or a local apprenticeship provider – they’re listed on Australian Apprenticeships.

How do I get experience?

Undertake work experience opportunities in Hospitality or ask your careers teacher or VET or VCAL coordinator. You can also ask a Food & Food Services employer for a voluntary work opportunity.

Undertake a short food preparation and serving course at TAFE or another training provider, to prepare you for the many part time work opportunities in Food & Food Services.

What does this job lead to?

Fully qualified and experienced hospitality workers can go on to become business owners and operators. Further training can lead to specialisation in:

  • Commercial cookery
  • Patisserie
  • Sugar and chocolate work
  • Business management
  • Events management
  • Restaurant and hotel management